Thursday, April 9, 2009

Departing From U.S.

"Baraka, rafiki wangu" (Swahili for "blessings, my friends"...thank you Karen!).

My heart is wide open, my spiritual center is high and I am anxiously anticipating the start of this very "stretched" phase of my life journey (as I sit in Ohare en route to London). I pray my eyes and heart will hear and see who and how I am to serve -- and that my actions will respect and honor the Tanzanian people to whom I am a guest...and the direction He wills.

Sadly, I am behind on my Swahili lessons (the job wind down consumed me) but will be trying hard to learn some respectful greetings (on the next leg of the trip) for our arrival because it is considered rude to begin talking without first sharing a formal greeting.

I have decided at this point it is best to stop reading about the various medical challenges that could face us and focus on all the beauty & splendor of the area - such as Mount Kilimanjaro and Serengeti National Park. We are as prepared as able on the medical side -- and at this point have to have conviction and "step out of the boat" (I borrowed that from a wonderfully inspirational writing from my new friend Maggie).

I am ready to "step out"! Feels more like leaping out! :-) Lots of unknowns and butterflies, but soon I hope to be immersed in Tanzanian community and sharing some wee glimpses of life & heart with the blog world...

Next stop London and a day with my baby girl, then off to T!

Love & blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the trip, Shari! Leah and I will be reading about your adventures. It's inspiring.

    --Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Sis have a wonderful time and enjoy everything to the fullest. You know your big brother believes in following your heart and pursuing every possible experience, SO DO IT.

    Love you dearly and remember the next I see you I will be getting married. Yoo HOO

    Later Sis

    ReplyDelete