
So much to share & so little computer time!
PLACEMENT: Thursday & Friday were my first days at WEECE (Women's Education & Economic Centre). Is an amazing experience - and I am SO blessed that this is my assignment while in Tanzania! Day 1, Mama Mrema introduced me to the team (they are all so very friendly), and we had opening prayer (in Swahili). I will be doing the prayer Monday (in English, for cultural sharing). After prayer, Mama Mrema explained their micro-lending procedures and showed me some example records. They keep records by paper & pen in files (no computer files). It is amazing that a new business can be started for less than $500 U.S. They also teach sewing classes (and sell garments to help fund more micro-loans), women's vocational skills, business start-up disciplines, support over 130 orphans, and do alot of community education on women's empowerment (to overcome poverty). I also learned that Mama Mrema led a Women's Development organization at her local diocese for 18 years and is a very spiritual woman. We shared life stories and have already formed a special friendship.
On Day 2 of placement I taught computer (we practiced Excel) and I quickly learned I needed to crash-course my Swahili. The girls are secondary level and are each at very different levels on the computer, but we made it through our first lesson. I am trying to approach the lessons a little different for this week's work together. After placement, we visited a Women's Milk Cooperative, and got a detailed look at how they are advancing on their vocations. I am still heart-broken to see the state of the machinery and tools that both the Milk Coop and WEECE have. Their sewing machines are foot-operated and the milk pasteurization machine uses a wood stove because fuel is too expensive. There will be much more to tell on this front as we go through the next few weeks.
SAFARI! Totally Unbelievable! I think this trip has to be in my
Top 5 of Life! We had 3 different outings (Fri - Marynana National Park; Sat - Ngorongoro Crater; Sun - Taraginere National Park), and Saturday's trip to Ngorongoro was absolutely surreal! We travelled a couple hours to a dormant crater and then another 40+ mins down in to the crater (in a safari land cruiser with a top that raises) and spent the better part of an amazing weather day seeing all the exotic animals I have only thus-far seen in zoos! At one point, we had an enormous lioness sitting right next to our truck (and she was totally bored with us Wazungus). :-) We also saw rhinos, elephants, hippos, a male lion and two cubs, a million zebras, water buffalos, wart hogs, gazelles, pink flamingos, a number of other exotic birds, wildabeasts, giraffes, baboons, monkeys, and on and on. At one point in the day, when we left the doors open, the monkeys hopped in our jeep and on another occassion leaped on the truck and stole some cookies! They are little sneakie scavengers!! When we were standing in the crater having our lunch, I felt like this was one of the first places that God created!! 

In the interest of time, I should say good-night!
Love to all -- and lala salama (peaceful rest)!
PLACEMENT: Thursday & Friday were my first days at WEECE (Women's Education & Economic Centre). Is an amazing experience - and I am SO blessed that this is my assignment while in Tanzania! Day 1, Mama Mrema introduced me to the team (they are all so very friendly), and we had opening prayer (in Swahili). I will be doing the prayer Monday (in English, for cultural sharing). After prayer, Mama Mrema explained their micro-lending procedures and showed me some example records. They keep records by paper & pen in files (no computer files). It is amazing that a new business can be started for less than $500 U.S. They also teach sewing classes (and sell garments to help fund more micro-loans), women's vocational skills, business start-up disciplines, support over 130 orphans, and do alot of community education on women's empowerment (to overcome poverty). I also learned that Mama Mrema led a Women's Development organization at her local diocese for 18 years and is a very spiritual woman. We shared life stories and have already formed a special friendship.
On Day 2 of placement I taught computer (we practiced Excel) and I quickly learned I needed to crash-course my Swahili. The girls are secondary level and are each at very different levels on the computer, but we made it through our first lesson. I am trying to approach the lessons a little different for this week's work together. After placement, we visited a Women's Milk Cooperative, and got a detailed look at how they are advancing on their vocations. I am still heart-broken to see the state of the machinery and tools that both the Milk Coop and WEECE have. Their sewing machines are foot-operated and the milk pasteurization machine uses a wood stove because fuel is too expensive. There will be much more to tell on this front as we go through the next few weeks.
SAFARI! Totally Unbelievable! I think this trip has to be in my
Top 5 of Life! We had 3 different outings (Fri - Marynana National Park; Sat - Ngorongoro Crater; Sun - Taraginere National Park), and Saturday's trip to Ngorongoro was absolutely surreal! We travelled a couple hours to a dormant crater and then another 40+ mins down in to the crater (in a safari land cruiser with a top that raises) and spent the better part of an amazing weather day seeing all the exotic animals I have only thus-far seen in zoos! At one point, we had an enormous lioness sitting right next to our truck (and she was totally bored with us Wazungus). :-) We also saw rhinos, elephants, hippos, a male lion and two cubs, a million zebras, water buffalos, wart hogs, gazelles, pink flamingos, a number of other exotic birds, wildabeasts, giraffes, baboons, monkeys, and on and on. At one point in the day, when we left the doors open, the monkeys hopped in our jeep and on another occassion leaped on the truck and stole some cookies! They are little sneakie scavengers!! When we were standing in the crater having our lunch, I felt like this was one of the first places that God created!! 

In the interest of time, I should say good-night!
Love to all -- and lala salama (peaceful rest)!
Safari sounds fantastic. Please see what kind of power the milk coop requires - maybe we can figure out how to setup a solar power generator for them! Save the environement and help improve their milk pasteurization output - Bill C
ReplyDelete